Friday, June 10, 2011

Thanks to all the Assembly members who have supported MMA in NY!

We are coming down to the wire and everything depends on support in the Assembly right now!

I want to publicly thank and acknowledge all those Assembly members who have taken the time to respond to my e-mails and memos! We can do this if we keep the pressure on. Everyone continue to contact their Assembly member.

Don't quit! Don't listen to the folks who say the bill is dead! Don't listen to all the folks saying to start again next year! This year is not over yet. Keep fighting!

Here are some of the words of consideration and support I have received from the Assembly:

Assemblyman Joseph R. Lentol (D, District 50, Kings County)
Stephen: I have voted in favor of the legalization of Mixed Martial Arts - particularly when Legislation moved out of the Committee on Codes (which I chair) for the first time. We all know there are underground events in New York. So, those events should be legal and monitored to ensure that they are safe and that the fighters and the spectators are protected. I think this about says it all. My vote clearly indicates my support on the matter.

Thanks.
Assemblywoman Claudia Tenny (R, District 115, Oneida County)
Dear Stephen,

            Thank you for contacting my office regarding your support for the regulation of professional Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) bouts in New York State.


            You can be assured of my support of this legislation (A.4146) to legalize this sport in our state, because MMA can provide New York with a much needed economic boost and help generate much needed revenues for our state budget.

            Independent economic studies have verified that just one MMA show in New York City would generate over $11 million, an estimated $7 million on Long Island, and a show in upstate New York would generate over $5 million. MMA exhibitions fill hotel rooms and restaurants over the course of a full weekend, which will provide much needed revenue to our local businesses. 

            Currently, 44 states and several countries around the globe regulate this sport, and reap the economic rewards of holding exhibitions. New York can ill afford to remain on the sidelines.

            If I can be of any further assistance, please feel free to contact my office.

Sincerely,
Claudia Tenney, Member of Assembly
 
Assemblyman Fred W. Thiele, Jr. (I, District 2, Suffolk County)
Dear Mr. Koepfer:

I am writing in response to your letter in which you express your support of legislation which authorizes Mixed Martial Arts in New York State.  Thank you for taking the time to write and share your opinions with me.

Please be advised that A.4146-A was referred to the Assembly Codes Committee on June 6, 2011 for review.  I can assure you that I have noted your opinions and will carefully consider them should I have an opportunity to vote on this bill during the remainder of the 2011 Legislative Session.

Again, thank you for your letter.  If I can be of further assistance to you concerning this or any other State matter, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely yours,
Fred W. Thiele, Jr.
Member of Assembly
Assemblyman Mark Johns (R, District 135, Monroe County)
Mr. Koepfer,

Thank you for your correspondence expressing your support for Mixed Martial Arts in New York State.
As you know, the State Senate recently passed Bill S1707A, which means that Mixed Martial Arts legislation should soon make its way to the State Assembly for a vote.  At this time, the only legislation in the Assembly regarding Mixed Martial Arts is Bill A4146. 

I do support this bill because I believe that this sport has the potential to spur our great state’s economy; as well as utilize our world-class venues such as the Blue Cross Arena, Carrier Dome, and Madison Square Garden.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write and share your thoughts with me.  Please don’t hesitate to contact my District Office (268 Fairport Village Landing, Fairport, NY 14450 - 585-223-9130) with any additional concerns.

Thank you,

Mark Johns
Member of Assembly
135th District

Assemblyman James Tedisco (R, District 110, Saratoga County)
Thank you for contacting me with regards to bringing Mixed Martial Arts Events to New York State.  As you may know, there have been several pieces of legislation introduced to regulate the MMA. The New York State Athletic Commission regularly updates the list of martial arts organizations that are approved to conduct martial arts matches or exhibitions in New York. 
 
As a supporter of Mixed Martial Arts, I firmly believe that based on the economic benefits associated with New York State allowing MMA, that the Commission should revisit and review this subject.
 
Please be assured that if and when this legislation comes before the full House of the Assembly I will keep your views in mind.       
 
Again, thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts on this topic.

Sincerely,
 
James N. Tedisco
110th Assembly District

No comments:

Post a Comment